Accounting & Finance Assistant
Reports To: Manager, Finance & Administration
Position Summary: This position assists the Manager, finance & administration in managing, processing various accounts and transactions. The Financial Assistant is responsible for day-to-day financial administration across the organization. This will involve providing support with various tasks including Payroll, Sage 50 transactions and the preparation of all supplier payments and staff expenses. The financial Assistant handles serves as the lead of all accounts receivable functions and will regularly interface with staff, interns and our clients. Primary responsibilities include, not limited to, to process and oversee the work of financial transactions, accounts payable, bank deposits, vouchers, etc., by thoroughly checking and correcting the accounting and other relevant financial records, to provide support in preparing the financial reports in the accounting and finance system as per the instructions received from the Manager, finance & administration , to maintain, update, and retrieve the financial information from the financial database and system, to assist in the preparation of receipts and vouchers and their relevant formats, so that the financial details can be entered correctly in the accounting system, to apply the basic accounting principles, knowledge, and techniques to analyze the variances, assist in production of journals, and perform routine accounting activities, and to perform accounting computations and calculations accurately, and try to identify if there are discrepancies, and if there are any errors, try to resolve them
• Process and prepare financial and business forms for the purpose of checking account balances, facilitating purchases, etc.
• Perform routine calculations to produce analyses and reports as requested by the finance manager
• Help oversee and manage individual accounts
• Create, send, and follow up on invoices
• Review and adhere to department budgets
• Collect and enter data for various financial spreadsheets
• Reconcile any discrepancies or errors identified by conversing with employees and/or clients
• Report any troubling discoveries or suspicion of wrongdoing to the finance manager
• Collect information for and prepare payroll payments for employees
• Assist the finance manager in creating financial reports on a regular basis
• Adhere to the company’s or organisation’s financial policies and procedures
• Answers question and provide assistance to managers, customers, and clients as needed
• Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
• Provides logistic and administrative support for the payroll department
• Develops, implements, and maintains efficient and effective administrative systems
• Gathers and inputs program data into databases.
• Receives, reviews and processes payroll information from the various sites into Sage 50 Quantum Accounting on a daily basis
• Reviews and processes all banking information for new employees to RBC Express
• Reviews and processes all expense claims for the program including time sheets for program employees. Submits to manager for approval
• Collates and distributes pay slips
• Prepares and remits source deductions and payroll tax
• Prepare and file with CRA Record of Employment for program participants
• Prepare T4 for Tropicana Community Services,
• Reconcile Salaries and benefits by month (January – December) for T4 summary
• Review cheque requisitions and supporting documents (invoices, bills etc.)
• Journalize entries and print cheques into Sage 50 Quantum Accounting
• Organizes and files payroll backups(e.g. timesheets, requisitions, invoices, and info sheets, etc.) for Audit
• Performs a variety of computer related activities to ensure proper tracking of statistics and completion of reports
• Infrequent requirement to retrieve documents from storage area that is likely to be less organized than a typical modern office environment
• Performing general office duties such as photocopying, faxing, filing, telephone, reception
• Adheres to the policies and procedures of Tropicana Community Services as outlined in the policy manual.
• Represents the organization in a professional manner at all times.
• Acts as Stipends payroll contact.
• Responds to payroll issues and priorities as they arise concerning participants, parents, employers and social services.
Health & Safety
Proactively supports the health and safety of the organization
• Follows policies and procedures and H&S standards and works in a safe manner.
• Follows all protocols.
• Receives cash and cheques (donations, funding, rebates/refunds, other receipts)
• Deposits (cash, cheques and bills) to the bank
• Initiates or assists with other projects as required.
• Plans, organizes and manages own workload to ensure contribution to the company’s monthly financial reporting process is achieved in a timely and accurate manner
• Assists in the preparation of spreadsheets, reports and correspondence as required.
Skills and Qualification
• Post secondary education
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Experience in office administration
• Ability to maintain detailed fiscal records and files
• Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel and Power Point
• Knowledge of mathematics as it applies to payroll
• Knowledge of Sage 50 Quantum Accounting
• Ability to coordinate names and numbers with proficiency
• Able to work in a busy office environment that often demands high levels of concentration, while inputting, checking and making calculations, while also coping with frequent interruptions including responding to staff/customer enquires
• Self-directed, ability to multitask and results oriented
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills
• Knowledge of basic bookkeeping
• Youth 15-29 years
• Social services etc.
• The position works in an office environment. Multi-tasking and multi-deadlines are required on a weekly basis. Working hours are tied to the time and effort required to complete payroll duties, and, while not intended to be excessive, are not tied to a weekly maximum. A certain level of flexibility regarding availability outside normal working hours is required to attend events and private views.
Application deadline: November 16, 2018
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please. Criminal reference check is required.
Tropicana Community Services offers in our recruitment processes accommodation for applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise if you require accommodation.