Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager of Community Engagement is accountable for leading and maintaining key community programs, developing and nurturing key community relationships and partnerships in support of the implementation of Tropicana’s Strategic Plan. The manager will work with staff and departments in building partnership opportunities while supporting the achievement of Tropicana’s strategic priorities for community engagement and tracking progress.
1385 Huntingwood Drive, Scarborough, M1S 3J1
Remote/Office due to COVID-19
Excellent computer proficiency: word-processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and data base management
October 6, 2021
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Dependent on needs of the program
Areas of Responsibilities
Planning & Program Development
Develop the internal plans to facilitate the effective implementation and efficient operations of the Community Relations programs in accordance with the department’s and funders’ goals and objectives.
- In partnership with internal stakeholders, actively seek out opportunities to develop formal partnerships with key external community agencies and organizations
- Provide administrative duties to meet objectives.
- Prepare and recommend annual budget requests, authorize expenditures, monitor and work within program budget
- Assist in developing and monitoring grant and budget proposals in co-ordination with the Program Head
- Maintain effective record-keeping and statistics
- Liaise with funders and prepare reports and maintain data on program utilization as required organizationally and by funders
- Provide guidance and support to other departments in regard to their community, government relations and advocacy needs
- Provide administrative duties including conducting inventory checks to ensure that proper documentation is maintained
- Develop and maintain effective record-keeping and statistical collection mechanisms as mandated by the various funders; and provide relevant statistics as required
- Develop and maintain a database of clients from the Black, African and Caribbean communities to whom the agency may be able to serve as clients or from who the agency may be able to recruit as volunteers
- Support communications related to key community partnerships and special projects that have significant community engagement and/or interest
- Identify and participate in the growth and expansion of the agency including identifying human resource needs, program and partnership opportunities
- Develop reports and metrics related to community partnership activities for reporting to executive team, funders, community partners and the Tropicana community
- Provide support to the Executive Director and senior team for external community engagement activities with other levels of government, funders and community partners
- Lead, facilitate and support events to bring together internal stakeholders, community partners and Tropicana
Human Resources Management
- Provide leadership and direction to the community relation’s team, volunteers and students.
- Provide daily supervision and direction to staff, volunteers and students
- Ensure staff receive regular supervision and adequate, ongoing training and education
- Conduct performance management, including coaching, mentoring, goal setting and progressive discipline according to established policies and procedures
- Foster effective and efficient teamwork and communication systems
- In conjunction with human resources, recruit, train volunteers and placement students for volunteer events
- Assist in monitoring the community relations and operational budget.
- Provide leadership for volunteer program to meet objectives.
- Oversee administration of volunteer program, including database management for volunteer engagement and tracking hours with a strong attention to detail
- In collaboration with human resources, onboarding of new volunteers including recruitment, training, providing ongoing support, retention, and recognition activities
Develop positive links with public and private sector organizations to enhance the delivery of programs in the community and to establish partnerships with other service providers.
- Establish positive and collaborative relationships with community groups, funders, politicians, and other supportive organizations to help achieve organizations goals
- Maintain positive relationships and communication with external stakeholders
- Liaises with United Way and other relevant external funders with regard to public relations and donor engagement activities
- Maintain contacts in the community, participate in sector networks; and explore opportunities for collaboration and partnership within the sector
- Facilitate membership recruitment and renewal initiatives to ensure an increase in agency membership
- Represent Tropicana at community events, public and agency forums and meetings
- Partner with external agencies to plan and implement programs for Tropicana’s engagement
Skills and Qualifications
- A degree in planning, public relations, communications, community engagement, or a related field, preferably at the Master’s level
- Minimum of three to five years experience in community organizing, engagement, or communications
- Five (5) years total experience in leadership roles in health or social care organization or agency engaged in transformation
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in people management preferred
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in project management preferred
- Ability to be sensitive and tactful when dealing with issues, concerns, complaints and comments from community members, stakeholders, and members of the public
- Proven relationship-building abilities, including experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, volunteers, and board members
- Demonstrate success in understanding the needs and sensitivities of different audiences and adapting appropriate presentation style, writing style, and content
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to enthusiastically deliver key messages
- Strong customer services skills, and demonstrated results in managing through complex systems
- Experience in volunteer coordination, recognition and leadership development
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, September 22, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=54
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, October 31, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=54
Although we appreciate each application, only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted.
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.