Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Reporting to the Supervisor of YJC, YJCS & netWORKS, the Program Coordinator is responsible for leading the processes of recruiting, placing and monitoring the Youth Job Connection Summer program for youth aged 15-18 with appropriate employment opportunities. The successful candidate will network and build relationships with employers and community partners.
Department: Tropicana Employment Centre
Reporting to: Supervisor, YJC, YJCS & netWORKS
Location: North York, ON
Environment: Office based/Remote Start
Date: ASAP Regular
Hours: 9:00AM — 5:00PM 5 days/week
Areas of Responsibilities
- Prepare outreach and recruitment materials
- Conduct outreach activities & information sessions with community centres, schools, to recruit participants for the program
- Conduct weekly and daily communication with youth to ensure safety, progress and successful completion of the program. Complete monitoring forms
- Develop trusting relationships with individual participants or in a group setting
- Provide one-on-one and group support to address youth issues/needs. Make referrals as necessary
- Use critical thinking skills to perform crisis intervention when necessary
- Interview participants to obtain employment history, educational background and career goals. Select participants based on Ministry guidelines and demonstrated needs
- Research, develop and facilitate pre- and post-employment training and workshops
- Identify and recruit appropriate employers for the program using methods such as cold calling, visits to workplaces, faxing/emailing program information
- Develop partnerships to aid the recruitment process – with school boards, social workers, youth outreach workers, Children’s Aid Society, Probation Officers, City of Toronto, social service, and community agencies.
- Inspect workplaces to ensure safety and acceptable training and working environments
- Respond to job orders from employers and ensure their completeness and accuracy negotiate placement duration and subsidy level with employers
- Conduct regular visits and phone calls to develop strong relationship with employers
- Respond to employer’s concerns and create a contingency plan towards improvement to the satisfaction of the employer and the youth’s development
- Advocate on behalf of participants at the workplace for the following: youth who are in danger of losing their placements; disability accommodations; anti discrimination, ensuring placement requirements are satisfied
- Conduct youth and employer survey to gauge satisfaction of the program activities.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Minimum one year experience in job development, marketing or sales
- Experience working with disadvantaged youth
- Knowledge of career development strategies
- Knowledge of community resources
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Sensitivity to diversity
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Excellent problem solving, decision making and conflict resolution skills
- Computer literacy
- Strong case management skills and ability to maintain confidentiality in handling participant documents
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=63 no later than 5:00 pm, January 28, 2022.
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=63 no later than 5:00 pm, February 28, 2022.
Although we appreciate each application, only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted.
It is a condition of employment that new employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. This means that all new employees must have received all doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada prior to their start date. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.