Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Tropicana Community Services is looking for a Counselor to provide culturally appropriate assistance to children, youth, and families, especially those from the Caribbean and Black communities, to address issues/problems this may be having significant impact on various aspects of their lives. Deliver the SNAP® program to engage often hard-to-reach clients and work collaboratively with the family to develop a treatment plan tailored to their individual strengths and needs, managing risky behaviours when necessary.
1385 Huntingwood Drive, Scarborough, M1S 3J1
Proficiency with Microsoft Office
August 1, 2021
9:00 AM — 5:00 PM Monday-Friday
Occasional Evenings/weekends as required for facilitation of programs.
As per the Collective Agreement.
Areas of Responsibilities
- Provide culturally appropriate counselling services to individuals and families, predominantly from the Black, African and Caribbean community, assisting them to cope and work through situations involving issues such as domestic violence, relationship breakdown, behaviour management and settlement.
- Assist women (and their children) who identify themselves as having been abused by their partner or significant other, to live free of violence through counselling including: safety planning, provision of and/or referral to resources, advocacy, accompaniment to court and other services
- Implement SNAP® therapeutic model guided by CBT framework and other therapeutic modalities as needed
- Advocate on behalf of clients within the various systems – child protection, housing, schools, courts, police, and social assistance
- Assist newcomers to settle effectively into Canadian society providing the in-depth social counselling which may be required
- Develop, co-ordinate and facilitate groups relevant to service users, in particular seniors.
- Develop and facilitate ART (Aggression Replacement Training) sessions
- Develop and facilitate culturally-appropriate workshops for clients, school groups and other organizations
- Participate in committees as a Tropicana representative and maintain close ties with education institutions and child welfare agencies to ensure that members of the Black, African and Caribbean community are receiving fair and equitable treatment
- Conduct outreach to community agencies including social services, education, immigration, medical and legal systems and other such services required to achieve the program goals
- Complete and process client Intakes
- Maintain well-documented, up-to-date files denoting service outcomes
- Maintain effective record-keeping and statistical collection mechanisms
- Conduct performance management activities to evaluate all services
- Provide relevant statistical and qualitative reports
- Provide supervision and direction to students inclusive of recruiting, orientation, coaching, training and evaluation.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree and relevant experience in social work (BSW, MSW)
- Current registration, in good standing, with the Ontario College of Social Workers/Social Service Workers
- Valid police clearance including vulnerable sector screening
- Lived experience of the Black, African & Caribbean community, in particular, knowledge of cultural diversity and anti-Black racism issues
- Familiarity with a variety of theoretical approaches including, but not limited to, Solution Focussed Brief Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioural, Systems, Attachment, Feminist, Aggression Replacement Training and Transtheoretical Model
- Advanced counselling, crisis intervention and group facilitation experience with children, youth and adults especially from the Black and Caribbean community
- Understanding of trauma in relation to violence against women and children prevention
- Extensive knowledge of community resources such as: social services, education, employment, housing, health, criminal justice and immigration
- Experience in outreach
- Ability to work well in a team setting and with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and ability to motivate volunteers and participants
- Computer proficiency in Windows environment and Microsoft Office
How to Apply
Candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, July 31, 2021 to, https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.