Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
The successful candidate will work alongside the HR Manager, and provide assistance across a range of HR functions, involving administration, HR policy, employee labour relations and talent acquisition. The position will provide guidance to employees and managers and act as a subject matter expert on HR matters.
Manager, Human Resources
1385 Huntingwood Drive, Scarborough, ON
Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office ® including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; internet searches; human resource management database systems; payroll software; social media and virtual meeting platforms (e.g., Zoom). Familiarity with accounting software.
August 1, 2021
9am – 5pm
Occasional Evenings/weekends as required for facilitation of programs.
Areas of Responsibilities
- Coordinate and administer onboarding, recruitment and selection procedures, process job descriptions, posting positions, screening/interviewing applicants, checking references, contacting unsuccessful candidates and preparing/ employment agreements and onboarding packages.
- Coordinate, implement and administer Human Resources policies and practices contributing to policy development, guidance to staff/management, administration, training, and employee relations.
- Coordinate, design and deliver new employee orientations, trains staff on HR policies and updates training ensuring compliance with legislation.
- Maintain confidential employee files receiving/verifying documents, creating new records, tracking Ministry licensing for staff, communicating with managers, and performing audits.
- Calculate overpayments, underpayments, benefit, and pension amounts for leave of absences and pension/benefit deduction amounts.
- Assist with the calculation of severance package for terminations.
- Manage internal event organization and coordination, including recreational events and training development activities · Coordinating HR meetings and workshops, including agenda preparation and distribution, as well as any HR Events focused on employee recognition.
- Act as a liaison between employees and management, as well as between employees and benefit vendors/administrators
- Coordinate disability claims acting as liaison between employee and manager, receiving STD and LTD applications/medical information, verifying validity and processing with insurer Processing employee enrollments, changes, and terminations with all benefit plan providers including WSIB. Managing WSIB claims as directed.
- Prepare and provide benefits packages to eligible employees, tracks status and follows up on administrative issues.
- Enter and update HRIS information changing profiles, preparing reports, identifying systems problems and making manual corrections.
- Provide assistance with payroll documentation including new hires, changes to existing employees, benefits/pension updates, terminations, STD/LTD updates, leave of absences and reports.
- Participate in strategic planning through researching, forecasting, analyzing, and implementing programs and projects; and generating prescribed updates and reports on programs and initiatives on a regular basis.
- Assist in creating and maintaining employee handbook.
- Assists with the employee performance reviews and termination processes.
- Help maintain positive employee relations and work to ensure worker satisfaction through education of HR policies and by fostering a positive work environment.
- Coordinate and administer student and volunteer positions within the organization.
- Consult with management to identify and analyze current and future organizational concerns and needs; as well as provide requested reports and documents.
- Identify and investigate payroll discrepancies, proposes solutions and distributes correspondence to parties involved.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Human Resources trends, best practices and legislation within the industry Prepare separation letters in case of terminations.
- Take or transcribe confidential minutes at labour management committee, joint health and Safety and other committees as assigned.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Manager or Senior Leadership.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary Degree (Human Resources) and a minimum of three years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two (2) to three (3) years HR experience in a unionized non-profit environment preferred.
- Membership with the Human Resources Professionals Association including certification as a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) is an asset
- Excellent project management, report writing, presentation and analytical and organizational skills including time management and planning.
- Ability to make efficient and sound decisions for complex issues including a proven ability to deal with sensitive matters in a timely and confidential manner.
- Effective HR administration, customer service and people management skills
- Full understanding of HR functions and best practices
- Self-sufficient, highly motivated and results-oriented
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Ability to incorporate values of a culturally competent practice of diversity and inclusiveness in all aspects of work.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office ® including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word; internet searches; human resource management database systems; payroll software; social media and virtual meeting platforms (e.g., Zoom). Familiarity with accounting software.
- Travel may be required between agency sites.
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, July 14, 2021 to, https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=43
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, July 24, 2021 to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=43
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.