Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Under the direction of the Daycare Supervisor, the R.E.C.E will plan, organize and implement programs for children between the ages of 4 and 12 years. The R.E.C.E will lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth and ensure their security and well-being.
425 McCowan, Scarborough
Indoors & Outdoors
August 1, 2021
7am – 6pm (Split shift as required to maintain ratios. 5.5 hours daily during instructional days, 7 hours on non instructional days)
Occasional Evenings/weekends as required for facilitation of programs
As per the Collective Agreement
Areas of Responsibilities
- Provide care for children being aware of each child’s background, social, emotional and intellectual development.
- Makes recommendations for outside assessment when developmental delays are evident. Encourages child to be as independent as his/her developmental level permits and provide choices to encourage decision making and self-regulation.
- Establishes a rapport with the child’s parents providing information regarding the child’s development and progress.
- Ensures that room is an interesting and inviting place through attractive room arrangement, set up for quick retrieval of program supplies display of children’s art and appropriate educational displays.
- Attends to and provides for the health and safety needs of the children through intervention and playroom arrangement.
- Plans weekly age-appropriate stimulating programming which reflects the social, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs of children’s interest and providing for individual and group activities. Areas include creative art, science, math, language and literacy, cognitive, sensory, dramatic, and outside play.
- Provides field trip experiences.
- Assists in basic housekeeping, sleep room and washroom routines.
- Works closely with and provides support to other staff to ensure that the program is planned and implemented, allowing for flexibility.
- Keeps Supervisor apprised of supply and equipment needs.
- Attends staff and team meetings as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Early Childhood Education Diploma
- Knowledge of The Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA)
- Knowledgeable in documents of, “How does Learning Happen” and “The Assessment for Quality Improvement Checklist.”
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required.
- Ministry required immunizations. Clear Police Vulnerable Screen Check (VSC)
- Ability to relate well to children.
- Excellent written and oral communication, effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to function as a team member.
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, July 14, 2021 to, https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=44
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, July 24, 2021 to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=44
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.