Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational and employment services, and youth development.
As a payroll and benefits administrator, you will be working alongside the full-time bookkeeper responsible for overseeing all payroll-related processes. You are organized, data driven, have excellent attention to detail, experience using payroll systems, and thrive working to timelines and multifaceted tasks.
Advanced knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office suite and SAGE accounting software
July 5, 2021
9:00 AM—5:00 PM 5 days/week (up to 25 hours a week)
Areas of Responsibilities
As a payroll and benefits administrator, you will be primarily responsible for payroll and will:
- Run the full payroll support throughout the employee lifecycle, from onboarding to status changes and off boarding for unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Prepare and issue ROEs and respond to CRA inquiries in a timely manner.
- Prepare payroll and benefits reporting (weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports, including T4s and T2200).
- Maintain payroll and employee records for accounting purposes including payroll authorization, changes to salary, deductions, group insurance, payroll taxes, etc.
- Reconcile payroll accounts and propose corrections when necessary.
- Provide support for internal and external audits.
- Ensure compliance to all employment legislation and regulatory guidelines such as EHT, CPP, EI, Income Tax, and Workers’ Compensation, etc.
- Liaise with Human Resources, group insurance providers, union and pension representatives, and others to ensure compliance with contracts and other obligations.
- Maintain up-to-date files of union dues deductions and other contributions.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Support the Finance Director and the management team in pursuit of cost savings and efficiencies.
Payroll and benefits administration
- Review payroll at each pay period to ensure accuracy of payroll information.
- Ensure accuracy of information for transfer to Sage.
- Prepare all ongoing and year-end reports from payroll including T4’s, T4 summary, EHT return, pension, union dues, employee hours and head count.
- Work with managers and staff to process the payroll and benefits administration.
- Respond to inquiries and assist with departmental tasks such as filing.
- Participate in preparing year-end papers and working with auditors.
- Learn, implement and review procedures and processes related to the day-to-day activities of the accounting department and recommends efficiencies.
- Back up team functions and when necessary, assist with bank deposits, reconcile bank statements.
- Be knowledgeable about and act within relevant legislation including the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), and Ontario Fire and Building Codes.
- Keep manager or supervisor informed and up to date on relevant issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance, Human Resources Department, or the Executive Director.
Skills and Qualifications
- Related post-secondary education from a recognized college or university.
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner certification (PCP) in progress or completed.
- 3+ years of experience in the administration of employee benefits and payroll processing.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office suite and SAGE accounting software.
- Must have an understanding of all ESA requirements.
- Respond to inquiries arising from questions about payroll.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with an impeccable detail to attention.
- Ability to work as part of a team and communicate with staff and members from diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a complete résumé and cover letter, no later than 4:59 p.m., June 8, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=41
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé and cover letter, no later than 4:59 p.m., June 15, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=41
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources Department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.