Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Daycare, the early childhood educator will plan, organize and implement programs for children between the ages of 4 and 12 years. The ECE will lead children in activities to stimulate and develop a child’s social, intellectual, cognitive, physical and emotional growth as well as to ensure their security and well-being.
The successful candidate will comply with Covid-19 protocols to forester a safe environment for children, staff parents and visitors.
McCowan Site, Scarborough
Indoors & Outdoors
7 hours/day within a 7am – 6pm time frame
Dependent on needs of the program
Areas of Responsibilities
- Provide care for children and be aware of each child’s background, along with their social, emotional and intellectual development
- Make recommendations for external assessment when developmental delays are evident.
- Encourage children to be as independent as their developmental level permits and provide choices to encourage decision making and self-regulation
- Establish a rapport with children’s parents and provide information regarding children’s development and progress.
- Ensure room is an interesting and inviting place through attractive room arrangement including setting up for quick retrieval of program supplies, displaying children’s artwork and creating appropriate educational displays
- Attend to and provide for the health and safety needs of children through intervention and playroom arrangement
- Plan weekly age-appropriate stimulating programming which reflects the social, emotional, physical and intellectual needs of children, delivering individual and group activities involving creative art, science, math, language and literacy, cognitive, sensory, dramatic, and outside play
- Provide field trip experiences
- Assist with basic housekeeping, sleep room and washroom routines
- Work closely with and provide support to other staff to ensure that the program is planned and implemented with flexibility
- Keep the supervisor informed of supply and equipment needs
- Attend staff and team meetings as required
Skills and Qualifications
- Completion of an Early Childhood Education Diploma program or a combination of education and experience in the related field
- 1+ years of experience working with children
- Working knowledge of The Child Care and Early Years Act
- Sufficient knowledge of, “How does Learning Happen” & “The Assessment for Quality Improvement Checklist”
- Experience working with children in a daycare setting
- Experience working in a non-profit organization is an asset
Licenses & Certifications
- Registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Negative Vulnerable Sector Screening Check issued within one year of hire date
- Ministry required medical assessment
Language & Communication Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both oral and written
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills; Ability to establish a good rapport with parents and other employees as well as to relate well with children
- Ability to perceive, shape and manage children’s behaviour
- Ability to value diversity and be culturally sensitive as well as to work in a socially inclusive environment
- Ability to deal with crisis and conflict by adopting de-escalation techniques
- Ability to multitask and stay organized with a capacity to working in a team setting
How to Apply
Internal candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, October 18, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=57
External candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, October 29, 2021, to https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=57
Although we appreciate each application, only those candidates being considered for the position will be contacted.
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.