Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
We are looking for Volunteers Review Committee Members for our Supporting Black Canadian Communities Initiative (SBCCI) to review and rank all applications submitted by organizations according to the given criteria. The members will submit their rankings to Tropicana Community Services (TCSO) and proactively look for applicants from across Canada, Quebec exclusive.
6 – 8 weeks of turnaround time, 2 – 3 hours/week, up to twenty-five (25) hours
Areas of Responsibilities
- Will review applications from the Atlantic, Central, and Western regions of Canada
- Read and provide preliminary scores for all applications assigned to them
- Score applications following the funding opportunity’s evaluation criteria and scoring matrix provided
- Committee members will also be provided with a form for noting the strengths and weaknesses of each of their assigned applications. These notes will serve as the bases for discussing applications during the committee meeting
- Where grants are likely to be recommended, the committee members will review and recommend funding amount for each application
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be a resident in Canada
- Bilingualism will be considered an asset
- Previous experience reviewing or adjudicating grant applications or experience running a Black led NGO’s, non-profit organizations will be considered an asset
- Are familiar with Black communities/organizational issues in their region
- Possess awareness and knowledge of local, regional or provincial opportunities and challenges
Successful candidates appointed to the Grant Review Committees by TCSO, will:
- Have a clear understanding of, and agreement with, TCSO’s mandate, vision and mission.
- Understand Anti-Black racism and systemic racism and the effects on the Black led NGO’s, non-profit organizations in Canada.
- Have the ability to apply TCSO criteria and make recommendations in a fair and unbiased manner
- Understand the barriers facing Black led NGO’s, non-profit organizations and organizations due to systemic racism and the impacts of COVID-19.
- Be equipped with knowledge and experience of community-based organizations, volunteerism, and community development.
How to Apply
Candidates are asked to submit the application via https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=56
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.