Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Youth Development and Education Department
Microsoft Office, Zoom
Every Tuesday and Thursday from 4 to 5 p.m. October to May
Tropicana Community Services is looking for volunteer tutors for our Increase Your Success online tutoring program. If you are a post-secondary student, teacher, or professor (current or retired) and wish to aid us in supporting students in grades 1-12 in mathematics, language, and science this may be the role for you.
Giving back to the community by helping Tropicana make a significant difference on Youth Development and Education. You will obtain fruitful experience and a sense of achievement after participating in our program where you help youth develop intellectually, morally, emotionally, and socially. Your contribution in the success of youth education will be tremendously valued and appreciated by our organization and the community.
Areas of Responsibilities
- Three 10-week terms (2021-2022), every Tuesday and Thursday from 4 to 5 p.m. (October 11 to December 17, January 3 to March 11, March 21 to May 27)
- One-on-one tutoring and support for students in Grades 1-12, delivered via Zoom.
- Support each student through a pre-assessment session, to build a learning plan tailored to their needs.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring via Zoom, giving students individual attention, allowing them
- to follow their learning plan, learn at their own pace, and focus on any difficulty areas.
- Teach students effective study and time management techniques.
- Help with school-assigned homework
- Provide students with the support, resources, and tools that will help them achieve academic success throughout their primary and high school years and beyond.
- Build self-confidence, self-respect, and enthusiasm for education.
- Help students build strong studying and learning techniques
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary student, teacher, or professor (current or retired).
- Tutors will be provided with training and orientation.
How to Apply
Join a passionate team, and help students achieve success in school and throughout their lives.
To apply to be a volunteer online tutor, please submit your resume via https://tropicana.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=52
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.