Life Skills & Self Development
A free self-development program for ages 14‑18
Rise Above is a free program that focuses on the transition from adolescence to adulthood, for youth ages 14-18. The program is designed with the end goal of participants achieving the skills that will aid them in leading more positive and successful lives.
Rise Above includes activities that will assist the participants with:
- Examining how different situations affect them and how to develop positive reactions and more compassionate and considerate behaviours.
- Developing conflict resolution skills (how to handle disputes and aggressive situations peacefully) and interpersonal skills addressing one on one relationships, social interactions, and community.
- Building up their self-confidence, self-worth, selfesteem, and overall mental health mindset.
- Fostering healthy relationships and attitudes towards sexuality.
- Awareness of how to navigate systemic barriers in education, employment, the justice/legal system, and society as a whole.
- This is a free program.
- A supportive, confidential, and safe environment for youth.
- Content is designed specifically to aid youth ages 14-18.
- The program is currently a virtual program delivered via Zoom.
- Sessions run every Thursday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. (April to June).
- Sessions are organized into 3 parts:
- Each session starts with selfdevelopment- focused activities such as skill- and team-building exercises, and open discussions.
- We break up the self-development discussions with games and socializing activities, to help keep things from getting too overwhelming.
- The session ends with closing out the day’s topics and discussions from part one.
- Enhance self-esteem, increase distress tolerance, build healthy communication and relationship/social skills, build resiliency, foster conflict resolution skills, and offer cultural education.
- Develop positive self-image, self-worth, and decision-making skills.
- Participants will also be taught various coping skills and techniques and be supplied with online support resources to assist them.