Tropicana Community Services (Tropicana), is a Toronto-based multi-service organization that provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, child care, educational and employment services and youth development.
Tropicana was founded in 1980 as a non-profit community organization to serve disadvantaged youth and their families, particularly those from the Caribbean. The first major project implemented was counselling services aimed at teenaged dropouts in a high-need area of Scarborough, Ontario. In 1984, Tropicana established formal links with the United Way of Greater Toronto and was the first organization from the Black and Caribbean community to become a United Way member agency.
Currently, the board of directors of Tropicana is seeking new volunteer board members with a variety of skills and expertise to help set strategic direction, provide governance oversight, and monitor the financial health of the organization.
We are looking for dynamic and deeply engaged board members to act in the best long-term interest of the organization and the stakeholders.
The following knowledge, experience and attributes are being sought to serve on the board:
- Legal background, LLB or JD
- Marketing and communication skills (digital marketing an asset)
- Leadership skills
- Governance experience in a not-for-profit
- Financial management
- Strategic planning
- Succession planning
- Strong networks and connections in diverse communities
- An ability to build relationships that advance the organization
- Experience on not-for-profit boards
- Critical thinking
- Interpersonal skills
- Strategic outlook
- Communication through constructive conversations and consensus building
Meetings events and time commitment
The board issues a calendar of meetings and events so that board members can commit with adequate notice. Most board members work 10–15 hours a month.
- Board meetings held on the 4th Wednesday of the month. Meetings start at 6:30 p.m. via zoom and in-person (when permitted)
- Every board member chairs a board committee
- Board committee meetings are between the scheduled regular board meetings as required
- Annual general meeting (AGM) in June
- Annual strategic planning retreat in September
Tropicana holds a limited number of special events during the year that board members are expected to attend, to demonstrate board engagement and community leadership.
If this role sounds like something you would be interested in, please send your cover letter and resume indicating your interest in applying to:
The deadline to apply is March 29, 2021. Interviews will take place during the month of April.