Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational, and employment services and youth development.
Currently, the Board of Directors of Tropicana is seeking new volunteer Board Members with a variety of skills and expertise to help set strategic direction, provide governance oversight, and monitor the financial health of the organisation. We are looking for dynamic and deeply engaged board members to act in the best long-term interest of the organization, and the stakeholders.
1385 Huntingwood Dr, Scarborough
10-15 hours a month
Areas of Responsibilities
Meetings events and Time Commitment
The Board issues a calendar of meetings and events so that Board members can commit with adequate notice. Most board members work between 10-15 hours a month.
- Board Meetings held on the 4th Wednesday of the month. Meetings start at 6.30pm via zoom and in-person (when permitted)
- Every Board member chairs a Board committee
- Board committee meetings are between the scheduled regular Board meetings as required
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) in June
- Annual strategic planning retreat in September
Tropicana holds a limited number of special events during the year that Board members are expected to attend, to demonstrate board engagement and community leadership.
Skills and Qualifications
The following knowledge, experience and attributes are being sought to serve on the board:
- Legal background LLB of JD
- Marketing and Communication skills (Digitial Marketing an asset)
- Leadership skills
- Governance experience in a not-for-profit
- Financial management
- Strategic Planning
- Succession Planning
- Strong networks and connections in diverse communities
- An ability to build relationships that advance the organization
- Experience on not-for-profit Boards
- Critical Thinking
- Interpersonal skills
- Strategic outlook
- Communication through constructive conversations and consensus building
How to Apply
Candidates are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, no later than 5:00 pm, April 9th, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will take place during the month of April.
Tropicana Community Services is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department, at the time of your application, of any requirement for accommodation in order for us to assess all employees in a fair and equitable manner.
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.